Contributors

Friday, January 9, 2009

2008/9 College Football Wrap

First, BIG props to Urban Meyer and his Florida Gators for winning their second BCS title in three years. Led by Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin and a bend but don't break opportunistic defense, the Gators sit on top of the college football world once again. For those who rocked, we salute you!

As for the game, there seems to be a general sentiment that it was sloppy, and somewhat of a disappointment. I personally hadn't been so on the edge of my seat for a whole game since last year's Super Bowl, so one might say I disagree, and one would be right. I saw some great defensive plays - Florida's 4th and goal shutdown, the blocked field goal, a great interception by each team. OK, maybe the other two picks were sloppy, but let's be realistic here - this was #1 vs #2, neither got here because any component of their game sucks and the respective D's made good plays on both. I also saw some exciting offense - Harvin's 52 yard scamper, Brown ripping through the Gator D for 50 on three straight runs early in the second quarter, laser guided throws from both QB's into tight coverage. I thought it was a great game to watch, but I guess some people aren't happy when teams actually play defense, or when the outcome of a game still hangs in the balance with five minutes left in the fourth quarter.

So Texas, Utah, and USC got left out in the cold. All three teams were legitimate title contenders, and can't be happy they didn't get a shot. But that's the way the NCAA has set up the system, and for now we all have to live with it. I'll have more on that later, but for now, I just want to congratulate the Gators with a special tip of the cap to young Mr. Tebow, who has pretty much become my favorite college player ever. He's what college athletes should strive to be. C'mon back next year, Sir, and bring home another one of these:




No comments:

Followers