Contributors

Friday, January 9, 2009

NFL Divisional Preview

So we're down to the Final 8, and have two games each tomorrow and Sunday. Gonna be another productive weekend here at the Ranch, I'm sure. I don't see a lot of upset possibilities in this round, and pretty much like all the home teams/favorites, albeit some more than others. Here ya go, in clunker to gem order:

Arizona at Carolina - If you don't have a rooting interest in either team, consider this:

This is far more exciting than this game has a shot at being. The Cards have sucked on the road, especially east of the Mississppi, and they are facing the team that would be #1 in the NFC but for a Week 16 overtime loss in the Meadowlands. Arizona has a middle of the pack run defense on the whole, they have been above average at home and below stinkage on the road. Carolina boasts a two headed monster of fleet footed Jonathan Stewart and slasher DeAngelo Williams, who has rushed for 16 TD's in his last 9 games. The Panthers also have Steve Smith, a very good pass rush and defense, and are undefeated at home. I don't expect 37 year old Kurt Warner to have a banner day, especially as he'll be on his back for a good portion of it, and the Cardinals aren't built to pound the ball with a pretty much rag tag bunch of RB's. With superstar Anquan Boldin likely out, the focus will be on Larry Fitzgerald, All World WR, but he can only do so much. When the two teams met in Week 8, the game was close at 27-24, and Williams was just hitting his stride. I think that same 51 points will be scored in this one , but it won't be close.

Prediction: Carolina 38 Arizona 13.

San Diego at Pittsburgh - If anyone needs to towel off in this one, it shouldn't be a problem.


And there should be plenty of towelies left at the end of the game to wipe the bitter tears of defeat from the collective eyes of Charger fans. The Steelers defense is good, I mean REALLY good. I haven't seen such a thorough beating up of another team as the mauling Pittsburgh put on my beloved Pats in a long, long time. The Pats are usually the ones doing the physical beatdown, but they took it straight on the chin multiple times in Week 13. This impressed me, and Pitts has been my pick to go to the Super Bowl since then. I'm not gonna waver now. The Chargers have won five in a row, although three were against Oakland, KC, and Denver, so color me unimpressed. They will be without the services of Ladainian "Greatest Regular Season Running Back Ever " Tomlinson, and will lay their hopes at the feet of their pretty good run/pretty lousy pass defense to keep this one close against a Steeler offense that's not exactly a powerhouse. On the offensive side of the ball, SD can succeed to an extent with some swing passes to Tiny Darren Sproles and will repeatedly target future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates, but don't expect a lot out of the WRs, another ragtag crew led by Vincent "DUI" Jackson. Philip Rivers had a helluva year, especially with the lack of a true #1 wideout, and was more deserving of league MVP than Manning. I'm not saying he should have won the award, but he did have a better year than Peyton. I fear for him and Sproles this week though, and look for a couple key turnovers that lead to Steeler scores.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 24 San Diego 13.

Philadelphia at New York - A classic NFC East showdown featuring Donovan "Jekyll and Hyde" McNabb vs The Smaller Foreheaded Manning, and a lack of pictures that won't make me sick. A lot of experts are on a Philly roll right now, they've been a trendy pick since demolishing Dallas a couple weeks ago. What the esperts have conveniently forgotten is that in Week 16 these same Eagles went down 10-3 at the hands of the not so mighty Redskins. I foresee another McNabb Moment on the horizon, and not a good one. These two split the season series, each winning in the other's house. Expect that to change this weekend as the trio of Earth, Wind, and Fire - stupid name, but I guess better than Blood, Sweat and Tears - rack up a couple hundred yards and take the pressure off Eli. It'll be pretty close, probably decided on a McNabb pick midway through the fourth quarter.

Prediction: New York 24 Philadelphia 14. Just like last night's game!

Baltimore at Tennessee - Duck and Cover!!!

This could be the scene over LP Field when these two get done with each other. If you like high scoring games with lots of trickery and fantastic long pass plays, don't even bother turning this one on. If the Steelers are the best defensive team in football, these two are numbers 2A and 2B.
Mr Collins, meet Messieurs Reed and Lewis, and hey there Young Mr Flacco, I'd like to introduce you to Senors Haynesworth and Finnegan. You'll be seeing a lot of them on Sunday, and in your nightmares for weeks afterward. Make no mistake, this will be a defensive battle, and I really have no clue who will prevail. I'll give the edge to the Titans as I expect both passing "attacks" to be weak, and I think Tenn has an edge in the running game.

Prediction: Tennessee 16 Baltimore 13.

Y'all enjoy the games and please don't bet your life savings on anything you just read!

7 comments:

Zep said...

Go Ravenz!

newwavegurly said...

"If you like high scoring games with lots of trickery and fantastic long pass plays, don't even bother turning this one on."

Brilliant! And oh-so-true.

I'm not sold on the Giants vs. Philly matchup. I love my Boys in Blue, but Philly QBs have a history of being our downfall. I'll be sitting in front of the tv on Sunday 'til my heart gives out or an obvious winner emerges. ;)

Unknown said...

carolina over arizona, check
pittsburgh over san diego, check
new york over philly, check
tennessee over baltimwhore, check

yep, all systems seem ready for a go!

nfsffw said...

There ya have it folks, Geo and I in total agreement. Were I you, I'd bet exactly the opposite.

nfsffw said...

Well Tenn came up short, but I came within 6... I ended up parlaying BAL +3, Under 34, and Carolina -10 for a 6:1 payoff. 2 down , 1 to go!

nfsffw said...

Guh.

nfsffw said...

Hey, I got ONE right. Jesus, what a weekend.

Followers