Contributors

Sunday, January 18, 2009

MEH.

In a word, that's how I feel about what's left of the season. But any football blog wouldn't be worth a broke dick without SOME coverage of the Championship Games, now would it? So while I can't find the rat's ass I could give about any of these teams or either of these games, I'll do my bloggy duty and give 'em some lip service.

Philly at Arizona: While I think the 11-5 Pats would wipe the field with either team, they don't get the opportunity. Arizona could be a feel good story I guess, but I just can't get behind them. Look up "asshole" in the dictionary and you'll find this pic:

A constant fixture on the Top 5 Worst Owners in Pro Sports List, I wish him, and in turn his team, nothing but FAIL. Sorry Kurt, Larry, and Anquan, hope you do well with your new teams when it's time to get paid.

Philly's chances seem to rest on their defense and fearless leader Donovan McKnob.

Not exactly an awe inspiring scene, and there are more pics of MK in similar positions, usually in a big game. Eagles fans hope Donovan will lay off the Chunky today and finally get to the Souper Bowl - in his fifth try. If it's a close game he'll need just a smidge of help from coach Andy Reid, who seems to lose track of time in crucial situations pretty regularly. Yo, Andy, quit dreaming about the post game buffet and check the clock every now and then. And for chrissake, DON'T EAT YOUR QUARTERBACK!


Prediction: Philadelphia Eagles 31, Arizona Cardinals 21.
I know the Iggles can do this if they get Westbrook involved in the game, especially with some screens early on to open up the middle. Boldin's going to give it a go but won't be full speed, and Larry Fitz will be double covered most of the day by a better pass defense than he's seen in the past few games. This looks like a no brainer to me, a couple picks and forced fumbles would seem to be in the Cards for the Iggles D.
The only thing McKnob and Reid have to fear is McKnob and Reid. And whichever team comes out of the AFC...

Baltimore at Pittsburgh: The Stillers won two previous matchups by a combined score of 36-29. Both Terrell Suggs and Samari Rolle played in those games, but today they are questionable at best. The Ravens had a full on donnybrook against the Titans last week, and they are in for more of the same today. Heinz Field is where Joe Flacco's rookie season comes to an end.


Young Joey has had a marvelous year, he is the first rookie QB to EVER lead his team to a Conference Championship Game. That, along with a killer unibrow, is quite impressive, and he'll be a good one for years to come. But not today. This game will belong to the great defense of the Pittsburgh by God Steelers.

Led by The James Gang, Harrison and Farrior, and Man of Troy Polamalu, and LaMarr Woodley and Deshea Townsend and ... well, you get the picture. The Stillers will get some good licks in the first half and will dominate a tiring and battered Baltimore offense in the second half.
Just like last week. Just like they will two weeks from now against whichever NFC team wins today.

Prediction: Pittsburgh Steelers 25, Baltimore Ravens 11.
An odd score indeed, which you sometimes get with two powerhouse defenses. Make no mistake, in a full health situation for both teams on a neutral field, I'd see this game dead even, but that's not the case in this one. Sorry, Ed Reed, I loves ya and would kill to have you and 10 others just like you on my team. Maybe next year. Seriously.

4 comments:

Zep said...

Philadelphia 38, Arizona 24

Baltimore 17, Pittsburgh 14

nfsffw said...

Being as we both pick Philly, I have to think the Cardinals are a mortal lock. :)

nfsffw said...

I have no clue about the post season this year, obviously. Congrats to Cards fans everywhere, especially Will Leitch, deadspin emeritus editor. Man's put his balls out in front of him all year for his Buzzsaw and has suffered through the train wreck formerly known as the Crudinals going back to the years in St Loo. Even though I'm a doubter, they keep proving me wrong. I won't jinx them by making them my lock pick next week...

Zep said...

I'm not sure I'd pick Pitt in the big dance either. Both teams have a lot going for them right now. Stillers have the obvious edge in the defense which will smother Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Warner, but that's the same damn thing they said in Carolina and against the Eagles.

Sad thing is, I really don't care! Sure for Warner, it would be nice to see the old guy make good almost a decade after his Rams campaign. But Fitz will be around for awhile. And with all the Steeler fans I have around me in this office, it would be kinda nice to see them take a powder.

So I dunno, Meghan and I will watch for the crazy commercials and see if, in this fucked-up economy, America's advertisers can still make us laugh and go to the stores.

Followers